Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Diving into "being a grown-up" the best I can...

This will, more or less, be a journal for my own pleasure. I doubt I will have any readers but if so, welcome to my life! I am a 25 year old mother to the handsomest baby boy Sawyer Liam Cooper. Sawyer's father and I are tying he knot next friday! So I will be using this blog to document our lives starting with the amazing wedding we have in the works. June 17, 2011, our son will be six months old and I will be marrying my soul mate! Life definitely throws some curve balls at you but once in a while, you get the perfect pitch and knock one right out of the park! (Wait a second, did I really just use a sports analogy? My better half, Will, must be rubbing off on me.) Anyway, life as a mama is just beautiful. Every tiny thing my son does is just mesmerizing. I am lucky that I am able to stay home 5 days a week to give my little Soy-Boy the tender, loving care he needs and so deserves.

I have never been much of a cook, but preparing his pureed fruits and vegetables is a lot of fun. He really seems to respond better to REAL food versus the jarred stuff, so its no trouble at all to steam, puree and freeze fruits and veggies. Also, this way, he gets to really taste and enjoy all real and organic produce. Hopefully he will grow into a healthy eater despite the fact that his mom and dad do indulge in junk occasionally. My parents raised me on McDonald's cheeseburgers and Top Ramen, not very healthy whatsoever! My dream is to never substitute junk for the nutrition he needs but we will deal with the demands for chicken nuggets and french fries when we get there. I don't want him to suffer the consequences I face everyday for a lifetime of bad eating habits. I understand that means I have to really focus on being a positive role model in the here and now. ANYWAY, today I saw a nutritionist who informed me that it is okay to bump him up to 3 solid food feedings a day. This comes as a relief because he has been wanting to nurse almost constantly, every 2 hours, all day and all night long. The first 3 months of his life I was happy to be feeding him this much and really didn't even mind the night feedings. But here lately, I had the feeling I wasn't making enough milk for him and considered supplementing with formula. I am glad I persevered because this 3 solids a day thing already seems to be helping, he just went almost 4 hours in between nursing which is a great improvement. It's time for his 3rd and last feeding of the day and I am crossing my fingers that all this food in his tummy means mommy can get some solid sleep in tonight!

Here he is after eating carrots yesterday, he won't let me clean his face very well which explains why he is all orange! Cutie.


No comments:

Post a Comment